The Collegiate Church of St. Florian stands at the northern end of the square, the former centre and the market square of
the mediaeval city of Kleparz. Built in 1185, legend has it at the spot where the relics of St.Florian miraculously
grew too heavy to be taken any further into the city.
The present appearance of the church is the result of a Baroque
rebuilding after the Swedish Wars. Since the 16th. century it has been the University Collegiate.
The coronation route began here where the rector with the Senate of the University would welcome the new king.