Polski | English |
Krakow's churches | Main Market Square | The Cloth Hall | Wawel Hill | City Walls | Krakow Mounds | Krakow's Gallery | 3D Panoramas
Kraków Krakow's Attractions
• Churches
• Main Market Square
• The Cloth Hall
   - Gargoyles
• Wawel Hill
• Town Hall Tower
• City Walls
• Krakow Mounds
• Krakow's Gallery
Kraków krakow4u.pl
• About us

Cracow

The Premonstratensian Sisters Church

foto: Pawel Krzan

The monastery of the Premonstratensian Sisters with the Church of St Augustine stands at the fork of Wisla and Rudawa. The extensive grounds, enclosed by a high, crenellated wall with stepped gables, could be the site of an ancient fortress. The scenic character of the monastery is enhanced by its location on the river bank. The monastery was founded in 1162 by Jaksa Gryfita. The original buildings were destroyed during the first Tatar raid. In the 13th century, a new church was built, of which a section of the walls and the Late Romanesque portal in the north elevation survive. The present form of the monastery is the result of the 1596-1626 reconstruction. The interior of the church was remodelled in 1777 by Father Sebastian Sierakowski, who created a homogenous classicist composition, including the altar niche, tho colonnade around the walls and the armchairs in place of stalls

Cracow

foto: Pawel Krzan

Cracow

foto: Pawel Krzan

Cracow

foto: Pawel Krzan

Cracow

foto: Pawel Krzan

Cracow

foto: Pawel Krzan

2004 - 2016 © Paweł Krzan KRFOTO | All rights reserved. Copying the materials included on this page is forbidden without the permission of the author