St. Michael's Church stands at the end of Skaleczna Street in Kazimierz district. This temple with the Pauline monastery form an enclosure separated from the city. The defensive position of Skałka [the church is also called "on the Rock"], rising above the Vistula and the neighbouring marshes which existed here, brought settlement already in the ninth century. The garden pond is traditionally belived to have served for pagan sacrifices. The first church on this site was built very early, and it was here that Bishop Stanislaus was murdered in 1079. The present church with its
characteristic two towers was built in the 17th century. The construction was begun by Georg Muntzer in 1734, and in its final form is the work of Antoni Solari (1740-1742). The principal value of the church's architecture is its outline, with two slim towers visible from many spots in the city. The interior of St Michael's church is cramped, relative to the monumental exterior. Its rich decoration has stuccowork by Johann Georg Lehnert and Wojciech Rojowski, who also carved the altar figures.
Each year on May 8th a ceremonial procession carries the saint's relics from Cathedral to Skalka.